Assessment at Evans High School
Our teachers use a variety of strategies to assess student learning. Junior students can access the Year 8 Assessment Handbook and the Year 10 Assessment Handbook to help them plan for success.
Teachers observe students' work in class and look closely at tasks throughout the year. They also formally assess a student's achievement based on the outcomes described in the syllabus of the subject.
As a parent or carer, you’ll receive a written report twice a year. It gives you a clear picture of your child’s achievements – what they know and can do.
In Years 7 to 10, we use the common grade scale in reporting. In Year 11, we use the Preliminary grade scale.
Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses are assessed on achievement of competencies.
We provide detailed information to students about what we expect from them throughout the year and how their work will be assessed. Students have a number of formal assessments throughout their schooling.
- National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) – reading, writing, language conventions (spelling, punctuation and grammar) and numeracy tests for students in Years 7 and 9. The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA) holds the tests in May each year. Results and student reports are released in August.
- Validation of Assessment for Learning and Individual Development (VALID) – online diagnostic science assessments for students in Year 8. Some schools also choose to sit the tests in Year 10.
- The Record of School Achievement (RoSA) is awarded to eligible students who leave school before completing their Higher School Certificate. The RoSA records a student’s grades between the end of Year 10 and when they leave school.
- The Higher School Certificate (HSC) is an internationally recognised qualification awarded to students who successfully complete Years 11 and 12 in NSW.
- Some students may apply for placement in a selective high school. For more information, visit selective high schools and opportunity classes.