The Sport Coaching course aims to develop in each student a capacity to develop the skills necessary to conduct coaching sessions with confidence. The possible qualification outcome of completing this course successfully is a Certificate II in Sport Coaching. The students will gain an understanding of how to run safe and effective coaching sessions and how to prevent any injuries from occurring.
Preliminary Course & Higher School Certificate Course:
Throughout this course, students learn about the specific knowledge and skills to commence a career in the sports education and coaching industries.
What will you be taught?
Across the Preliminary and HSC courses, the following modules may be selected for study:
- Organise and complete daily work activities
- Provide first aid
- Develop and update knowledge of coaching practices
- Coach beginner or novice participants to develop fundamental motor skills
- Communicate effectively with others in a sport environment
- Assist in preparing and conducting sport and recreation sessions
- Develop and update sport, fitness and recreation industry knowledge
- Follow work health and safety policies
- Implement sports injury prevention
- Provide equipment for activities
- Access and use the Internet
- Conduct basic warm-up and cool-down programs
- Develop and update officiating knowledge
Particular Course Requirements:
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Is this course a Category A or Category B course?
Who can you ask for more information?
Does this course count towards your ATAR?
What types of assessments will be used to determine your final mark?
Examinations and assessment tasks (practical and theory based), which are assessed against the core and elective competencies. You will also complete work placement and a First Aid Course. Students must complete a minimum of 35 hours of work placement.
There is a $100 fee that is included with this subject in Year 11, which is used to buy whistles and other sport coaching items, as well as to pay for the students to attend a first aid course. This fee is reduced to $20 in Year 12 to pay for sport coaching equipment.
It is recommended that students have interest and ability in particularly the practical component of the PDHPE course. This course may lead to a career in fitness coaching, personal training, sports management, physiotherapy and physical education careers.